SailNet Community - View Single Post - Compresion post repaired
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011
Deck Hand

gknott is on a distinguished road
Thanks "Hellosailor". You are absolutely correct about the need to isolate two dissimilar metals and anyone else unfortunate enough to attempt this repair should heed your good advice. Even more galling is the fact that I had a sheet of UHDPE laying around at the time. On the other hand, here's how I can avoid not sitting bolt upright in the middle of the night in a cold sweat and immediately jacking up the mast to insert said dielectric material. As you know, the rate of galvanic corrosion is dependant upon the amount moisture and the duration of it's presence. Obviousy, the more moisture for a longer period, the better the "battery" so to speak. What caused my problem in the first place was a leaky deck around the mast which I hope I have a least slowed down. "Dry" is impossible on a boat for a lot of reasons but at least water no longer constantly drips onto the counter and compression post. I have achieved "pretty dry" in that area. So although galvanic corrosion is doubtless occuring even through the thick layers of factory black paint on the steel compression post, it's the rate of corrosion I'm considering late at night. At the magical age of 64, I'm willing to bet that my personal rate of decline (and probably that of my 30-something boat) will exceed that of my repaired compression post. Thanks again for your astute observation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook