SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaving to
Thread: Heaving to
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
A point about heaving to -- having used this tactic several times on long offshore passages, I’ve found that it’s usually the case that if you tack and then heave to you will make better time toward your destination than if you just heave to. In other words, if you’re sailing towards your waypoint and heave to you will probably move away from your waypoint while hove to. Tack and then heave to and you’ll probably be moving toward it. At least that’s the way it’s worked for me.

Try it next time your out. Heaving to for 12 hours with a 3 knot leeway could cost you a considerable distance.

PS - I concur with the comment about eliminating chafe. Reef the headsail more. You might try to sheet it flat as well or you’ll chafe the sheet. You might find that you need a smaller headsail that has less “belly” in order to eliminate the chafe. If you can’t get a fair lead with no chafe on either sail or sheet you might have to rig chafing gear if you heave to for any length of time.

PPS -- I looked at the picture again. The jib track car appears to be well aft. Can you move it forward so that the sheet will be off the shroud? If not, lead the sheet through snatch block that’s attached further forward. Just an idea.

Last edited by billyruffn; 10-25-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook