SailNet Community - View Single Post - Water Ballast
Thread: Water Ballast
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
One big disadvantage of water ballast is it is only effective out of the water, below the waterline it weighs nothing.

I am looking for a boat that suplements the water ballast with at least some fixed weights. A daggerboard with a weighted bulb on the end would provide excellent righting movement, and still be "trailerable", especially if the dagger board was able to be securely locked in both up and down positions.

If I was to design a boat, I would build a hydraulic cylinder into an oversized weighted daggerboard, with the rod bolted to the base of the mast step, giving a continuos metal rod from mast tip to keel tip. with a small battery operated pump like the trim tab pumps, (a manually operated hydraulic pump on a lever handle makes a good backup), will quickly raise and lower keel with weighted bulb).

Inflatable bulbs, (like fuel bladders), also controlled by small air pumps, with manual lever pumps as backup, can be used to stiffen rolling, in heavy weather, (like a rib tube on a sailboat), or deflated for speed when not needed. configured like the fuel bladders, (flat but expandable), with tapered ends they would be bolted flush with the hull when deflated, and expand to form bouyancy pockets when inflated...You would have the first, "unsinkable" trailer sailer.

The pump and the cyclinder can be machined into the keel piece, so there is no need for seperate, (failable), parts. I have seen a design for a robotic arm that the only moving parts were the piston, and the fluid itself, all other parts were machined as indentations in the arm.

Has anyone done a crossing, (however small), in a trailer sailer of any kind???