SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Interesting indeed.. looks like a fun ride with a lot of neat ideas.. spartan, but fun. Wonder if they'd build/engineer a fixed keel version?

Plenty of good images and info on their site.

Malango 9.99
Hi Faster!

That's funny that Chimbatete had posted about that boat. A six year's old boat comparison test between that boat and a much more older type of boat made me start a research that lead to a better look and comprehensions of boat design.

Six years ago I thought that all modern and fast boats should have a look and characteristics inspired by open class racers and then on this test between two day sailers with a dinghy garage, one inspired by solo ocean racers, the other looking old (a narrow boat), I was quite sure that the Malango would be much faster, specially downwind and then....it was just not so

After that I understood that things were not so simple as I thought and started to look for more information, a search that continue today, to understand in fast boats the relation of hull shapes and performance in different weather conditions.

When I have more time I will post about that test that was very complete, both boats at the same time in the water and tested in all sailing positions with 10 and 20K wind. Both boats had about the same weight and the same LWL.

The other boat was an older one, the Daydream 300:

le Daydream 300

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-25-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook