SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help on PHRF Corrected Times
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011
Canuck in Mexico

Guero is on a distinguished road
Help on PHRF Corrected Times

Hi All!

I'm a Canadian expat in Mexico, Yucatan precisely, and doing Handicap racing in a very small club, usually led by a "clique". I've seen very inconsistent results in the last 2 years depending on who was in the lead. Last race winner was even switched from 144 to 147 HCP without any notice.

Anyway I'm not complaining, because I'm racing a non-racing boat against J/24's, Hughes Mk1 etc, however I'm usually doing very well and can keep my slug in the top 3. At the last race, I did something unusual, I was curious and asked for the formula that was used in the last race to calculate times and they were not even able to provide me with if it was ToT or ToD, nor the formula. That's weird.

What do you think of these results, do they make sense?

Winds for this race started at around 12 knots and on the finish line it was blowing around 20 knots.

Image is in attachment... Tiempo is Time taken, and Tiempo Corregido is the Corrected Time according to PHRF. My boat is Serenity. Thanks.

I appreciate all input and comments on clarification. I'm not sure why my club doesn't provide me with the formula that was used in that race. I've been racing for 2 years and never complained, but now that I'm curious and want to know what are the math, nobody gives them to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phrf-times.jpg (55.3 KB, 58 views)
Sold: 1982 Catalina 25 (Polaris)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook