SailNet Community - View Single Post - Contemplating a drive line overhaul
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Awesome - thank you Denise and MS.

Denise, I think that I can squeak by the rudder (I hope so!). My boat is a 35, and I believe that I have more room between the shaft log and the rudder.

I just got off the phone with New England Propeller. They believe that the total for the shaft & work will be in the $600 range, and probably $70 for a bearing.

I know that the Bullflex coupling only accommodates a 2º shaft misalignment MAX. You've convinced me to forgo it.

The OEM Mounts are $165 each!!!

What are they; impregnated with Gold?

The mount that you see (rusted) is a Dual-Flex 206;

What I don't like about either of these is that the top acts like a cup and retains any water that comes into it, thus the corrosion.

The Vetus mounts look like this;

and should shed any liquid that splashes on them..
The red colored mount is the OEM style I am referring to not the Bushing's Inc. mounts. Universal used to use Bushing's Inc mounts but they really are a poor mount.

If you want to replace the Bushings Inc. type mounts DO NOT buy them from the dealer they can be had for a lot less and much closer to what they might be worth.

The new Universals ship with the red style mounts though they now have a solid cap cover. They are an excellent design if not inexpensive..

The red mount on the right was replaced at 2800 hours and was still working fine. The two failed Bushings Inc. mounts at 640 hours....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook