SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain plate metal bad
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
I had replaced all my standing rigging, piece by piece, a few years ago, and the chainplates were the last piece of metal in the system to have not been renewed since my ownership. The previous plates were 1/8 thick, and I ordered the new ones at 3/16. True, the old ones had lasted, but since I was replacing them and the cost difference was insignificant, I went larger.

The Hayn Hi-Mod fittings I use have 3/8 or 1/2" pins and so the 1/8" chainplate was quite thin on them. The depth of the pin is not affected by the width of the chainplate, and neither is it even close to being at the width of the fitting itself. I'm not being very clear here, but the bottom line is that it is no problem.

Just FYI, I paid about $250 for two chainplates, each about 20" long, 3" wide, and with the usual bolt holes.

It will give me immeasurable peace of mind to know that these chainplates are not remotely a weak link in my system! I've seen too many pictures of fractured chainplates and lost rigging to want to experience that in 35 knot SE winds in the Straits of Georgia!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook