SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain plate metal bad
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Yes, mitiempo, I thought 1/8 was thin too. Given that a Gulf 32 displaces about 16,000 lbs, and has 6,000 lbs of lead in the keel, it takes a hell of a lot of force to get her to heel over. Her rig is not too tall, but I have never ever been able to get her rail in the water even carrying full sails close hauled in winds to 25 knots. The forces on those chainplates, and the rigging, must be pretty large, and larger because of her mass.

For all these reasons and more I felt good about replacing them and increasing the thickness of the chainplates.

I hadn't thought about using the old ones as backing blocks but I like that idea. Gulf 32 chainplates are bolted to the large teak bulkheads that separate the main cabin from the head and vberth. They have teak backing blocks for the chainplates. When I install these new ones I will see if cutting down these old chainplates might work to replace or supplement the teak backing blocks. I like that idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook