SailNet Community - View Single Post - Uh Oh.....This may be a deal breaker....
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
...The heel angle isn't at all the issue...it was the up and down motion of the bot over and through the waves. Like I said it was a tad bit choppy. I asked her if it was the angle and even adjusted the boat so there was less heel through the traveler, but she insisted it wasn't the heel angle, it was the up and down...
OK, sounds like you know how to avoid overpowering. I'll leave my post up anyway since others look here for advice also.

I hae one other comment that might be helpful to you or others. I had to add 300 lb of ballast in the bow of my little boat to make her sail on her lines. This fixed a hatch leak (since the the hatched was designed for rainwater to drain forward off the foredeck), greatly improved visibility (since the bow was lower), and reduced weather helm (since the mast was raked less). One unanticipated improvement was that it greatly reduced hobby horsing.

300 lb. may not be much for a boat your size - my boat is known to be a lightweight design. But some additional ballast in both the bow and stern (balanced to keep her on her lines) would increase the moment of inertia of your boat, and might reduce hobby horsing for you. However, you should consult other owners of your boat to compare notes on what's safe and effective for your particular boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook