SailNet Community - View Single Post - Now that I killed the 3gm30
View Single Post
post #24 of Old 10-27-2011
casey1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereiss View Post
1. I don't know if insurance will cover it but I put it in the category of "it's worth a try". They had the survey come out this week to look at it. We'll see what happens.

Now have pricing and choices;

1. Rebuild by Mack Boring, 6 month warranty (from when it splashes in the spring) cost, about $8,200 all in (remove, rebuild, reinstall).
2. Can purchase a new Beta30 for about the same amount but install will be somewhere between 50 and 100 hours.

So option 2 costs twice as much as option 1 (no, not planning on doing a self install even though Beta says 50% of buyers do it themselves). I have a hard time thinking that new is twice as good or will add that much "value" to the boat if/when it needs to be sold.

What am I missing (other than piece of mind)?
I would go with the rebuild. That rebuild engine might be better than a new one, or at least last as long. When you splash her, run the engine a lot in first 6 months, if it is good for 6 months I would think it will be good for a long time.

If you do decide to go with the Beta, would be nice to get a fixed install price in the low end of the range.
Good luck
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome