SailNet Community - View Single Post - Challenger 40..... A good foundation?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011

Swift Drift is on a distinguished road
Challenger 40..... A good foundation?

Hi All,

I've been shopping boats for a little over six months and I've recently been turned on to the Challenger 40 for the following main reason:

1) Good headroom (I'm 6'4").
2) Appears to be a well built thick hand laid 1970's era fiberglass boat.
3) Significant bang for the buck.

I've looked at more modern boats in the 34-36 foot category that have all the bells and whistles. My thought is that If I do my homework and buy an older solid boat, i can ad bells and whistles (electronics to my liking, cushion covers, dodger, etc) as I go. On the other hand, buy the 34-36 foot boat, love it for 5 years or so, and end up wanting a bigger boat with more off shore capability, higher tankage capacity, heavier displacement etc.

Going to view a cahllenger 40 this weekend (Sloop) and likely flying somewhere in the next few weeks to view another one (ketch).

My intent is to use the boat for PNW cruising over the next few years as the boat and my schedule are upgraded to accomodate extended cruising. I currently own a 1989 Macregor 26D and a Nacra 5.2 Cat.... I sail both frequently. Have had experience sailing a 40' plus boat with similar dispacement to challenger 40 in the San Juans / Sound area.

I have turned over practically every stone I can on the web trying to find info not only on Challenger Yachts, but specifically the 40. Anyone have any knowledge to bestow on me? Any suggestions for other boats that I may want to throw in the mix? (budget not to exceed 45k....30k would be nice). How about someone to talk me out of all this craziness?

What say you??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook