SailNet Community - View Single Post - iPad, wifi, not G3 GPS with Navionics????
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 10-28-2011
I have the Ipad 2 with 3G and, therefore, built in gps. However, I didn't trust that the gps receiver was going to work well when down below, so I bought a bluetooth receiver as well. I had thought this was the only one that worked with the Ipad, at least at the time.

When I turn it on, it works perfectly. Automatically synchs with no effort whatsoever. It is small, charges with no effort and comes with a suction cup holder to mount somewhere. The downside is that it can't get wet, although could easily be put in a waterproof bag, such as designed for cell phones. It also has a swipe to turn it on and off, like the ipad's confirmation swipe, no actually buttons. It is easily turned on and drained when in a bag. I have a 12v dc plug in the cockpit and usually just leave it plugged in when using it. GNS 5870 MFI GPS Bt Receiver "WAAS" Enabled: GPS & Navigation

As it turns out, the built in receiver actually works just fine when below and I rarely use this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome