SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011

bjung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Half surprise from Halber-Rassy: What seemed to be an isolated experience with the 372 has turning now on a new line. HR is making a new aft cockpit boat, the HR 412.

On HR, Only boats smaller than 37ft were aft cockpit boats, the offshore HR were basically center cockpit boats but now, with the sells from the 37 center cockpit much worse than the ones from the 372 (aft cockpit) and losing sales to the new line of cruising boats from X yachts, HR decided to offer a 41ft boat with an aft cockpit. The 40ft center cockpit boat will be maintained.

This boat is also the first beamy HR: 4.11m. The old center cockpit 40ft had only 3.82m.

The boat share similar characteristics with the XC-42 but it seems to me that the XC has a more modern design and surprisingly a bit better D/B ratio.

Anyway, a more modern and good looking HR is always good news. The basic price of the new boat will be around: 435 000 €
Paulo,
I think the reasoning for HR to build a larger 372, was not out of pressure by X yachts, but simply dictated by the immense success of the 372. In 2 years, HR built more than 70 HR372's. I would be interrested how many XC 38's have been built.
I recently had the opportunity to crew on the delivery of a HR 372 from Connecticut to the Annapolis Show. The performance, seaworthiness, and layout/ functionality down below is about as perfect as I could imagine. Designed with sailing and comfortable life aboard in mind.
As far as performance, we knocked off about 200 nm a day, in a combination of motoring, sailing and motor-sailing. Hard on the wind, we clocked about 6kn in 10kn wind, and I saw the speed climb to above 8 kn in 14 kn wind on a beam reach. Cruising World did a testsail after the Show, in 15-20kn wind, we'll see what they have to say.
The problem for me: This trip has made it very hard to appreciate affordable production boats ( with the sticker: "starting at" )at the Annapolis Show, as the HR 372 really set the bar for what I am personally looking for in a vessel.
I wonder where Mega Millions Lottery jackpot is today......
Bernd
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook