SailNet Community - View Single Post - Safety lesson
Thread: Safety lesson
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 10-28-2011 Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Galveston
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Safety lesson

I am a safety instructor and auditor for major industrial construction sites. This is what I do with my life. I watch and teach others so that no one gets hurt or worse. I like what I do and have seen accidents avoided and attitudes improve over all. I take my job seriously and will not hesitate to send any one home who is not conducting themself in a safe manor.
Having said that, a a few months ago I ended up with a Cal 27 from a friend who was moving to Colorado. I decided to buy it for next to nothing so I could fix it up a little and give to my teenage son to start off his life on the water with out me.
I needed to take the boat from Galveston Bay to Freeport Texas. I was expecting a ten to twelve hour trip. The wife and I were enjoying the day and I was proud watching her tack and tie lines. My wife had really been trying to get good at sailing and it was starting to show. The trip was short lived as the main sheet ripped in to tatters. I whent to fire up the ole Atomic 4 but she just wouldnt start. The wife asked me a minute later if the bilge was supposed to be full of gass. " Hi, BoatU.S........"
Two weeks later I tried the trip again solo. The weather reports were all good ( Liars!) As I entered the jeddies the engine died but thats okay, I kinda expected it. The new used main was up though a little bigger than I thought, oh well, what could that hurt?
Fifteen foot waves began to slam into the boat pushing me into a bad area. As I came down one wave and tacked to get away another wave pushed the small vessel on to her side and the mast hit another wave. I realized at that time that all my PDF's were down below and out of reach. I really wanted to put one on at the moment.
I got out into the ship channel and all was well. The sun was shining and it was a little cool out which is unusual for this part of the country. I turned and headed for the end of the jeddies and out into open water. Ther wave height began to increase as I was heading out. This was the smallest boat I had ever sailed and there was no joy going over 20 foot waves.
Thoughts of turning back had entered my head but why would I do that, why would I ever do something like that. I have been on the water since birth and I have never had a major problem.
Things kept getting worse, the sail that was a little to big had a nice parachute thing going on at the bottom. I realized I was pushed of course and needed to come about to avoid the jeddies. The boat would not turn for me, I was getting tossed about way to much to even consider running to the mast in order to lower the sail that I know sticks so badly.
I tried and tried to restart the motor but it just wasn't happening as the rocks were coming closer and closer. I saw a coast gaurd ship in the distance, I can radio them for help but wait! My radio was below decks and to far out of reach.
How a bout my new flare gun! Wait, thats all the way up in the bow under the life jackets.
I know, my air horn!Crap, thats down below.
The boat was going comletely side ways, I tried every trick I could think of but she wouldn't respond. Sure wish I had a PDF, that would be a little comfort.
The rocks were now twenty feet away and I had to accept was was about to happen. I ran below decks, grabbed my phone and back pack while getting thrown about and as I came up the steps the boat slammed in to the rcoks and then slid back dow into the water.
I raced to the bow taking a moment to undo the main and give it a few pulls down, timed the waves and the motion and jumped on to the slimey oyster shell incrusted boulder. I made a perfect landing, no falls, no bleeding and I felt a little better about my safety and smiled. I turned to look back and realized the boat was about ten feet above me and coming down quickly. I scrambled to get out of the way and just made it.
Luckily BoatUS was in the area and made it to me in less than 15 minutes. I watched the ocean pick up my boat out of the water so that I could view the entire keel. It seemed to stay in the air for a full minute then came down on it starboard hull with the most violent impact I had ever seen and the death blow to the little Cal27.
Boat US showed up and I managed to jump back on the boat and get pulled off the rocks. That night at the marina she was taking on water so I hauled her out the next day. The damage was extensive, so much so she will never be returned to the water.
The point: When all whent wrong none of my safety gear was close at hand. The boat was being tossed around to much to go below decks and find it. On my new boat, a Cheoy Lee Perry, I am installing a second radio in the cockpit as well as making sure PDF's, flares and air horns are close by as well. I spend my life teaching safety yet when it came to the sea I was arogant and foolish. I had what in my industry is called complacency, too use to what I do to concern myself with safety. The one sentence I have heard almost every time from an injured worker has been. " I don't understand, it's never happened before"
So take a look around your boat, see just how long it would take you to get to your safety gear and evaluate. If it is more than a few seconds you need to re-think it's location. Good sailing to all and stay safe!
safetyteach is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome