SailNet Community - View Single Post - Large old wooden sail boat,
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011

wooden is on a distinguished road
Hi Thank you all for the response, I have been asked loads of questions so I will try and answer some of them. The boat's name is Senorita. She was built in Dartmouth, England by Philip and Son Ltd. in 1925. I do not have a designer, but she was built alongside Tern IV, which was built for Claud Worth. Much of the design and construction, including many of the custom made metal fittings are the same and are mentioned Claud Worth's books. She was originally a gaff-rigged Cutter and converted in 1937 by Philip and Son to a ketch. I have yet to fit the mizzen. She is built of double 4 inch sawn english oak frames with teak planking and external lead ballast. She has wrought iron floor straps spaced about 18 inches apart to support the keel. My wife and I discovered the boat in a magazine abandoned in a yard in Greenport, New York. We were living in California at the time but decided to take a look at the boat. She was a real basket case. The planking was literally falling off of her, most of the deck beams had rotted. The clamp/beam shelf was non existent for 3/4 of the boat. She had no mast and had been gutted. I guess as me ad my wife are both originally from England, we felt drawn to her. So we packed up everything in California and moved to New York to save her. It has taken about five years to get to this point and this year we stepped the mast after replacing th top 20 foot of it, and refitted the Leyland engine that I had rebuilt. She is now floating nicely and takes virtually no water. Along the way, we bought a house in Arkansas and would like to be able to spend some more time there. Being continuous 1500 miles away from home is no fun!So now that the boat ids able to make a passage it would be great if we could get her closer to home for a year or so so that I could continue with the work and spend some time at home. After driving over some of the huge rivers like the Mississippi I was just wondering if it would be possible to find somewhere. I know that there is a marina in Memphis, but I don't know anything about the river. Without the top mast the rig is quite short. I am experienced enough to know not to leave the boat out of the water for any length of time, and would rather not put her through the ordeal of road transport, plus pulling the mast is a big job. As somebody mentioned about dreamers, try camping on an empty boat on hard standing for a New York winter, with little more to sit on than a tool box for a dream. Keep the suggestions coming. I will post a picture of her before she came to the US in 1973.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook