SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 32 performance
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011

jb1528 is on a distinguished road
My survey was pretty good. No spongy decks as I believe they are not cored, but solid. At least that was what I read and after the survey believe. My boat has a cluster of through hulls in the head. The surveyor's hammer didn't have that crisp sound when it landed in the middle of them. That was this spring

When I haul for bottom paint next spring, I'll check it closer. Inside it sounds fine. The only penetrations I need there are for the head sink and the speedo so I may have the others filled in.
My boat has a porta pottie. I'll be darned if I can see where a holding tank would go. All the seacocks are the old tapered Wilcox Crittenden type. Those will be replaced over time. They all work, but don't have handles and they need to be serviced often.

My steel fuel tank needed replacing as a result of the survey. One corner was damp. No dripping of fuel though. I had an aluminum tank built as I couldn't find an off the shelf tank that would work.

The only other thing was a well worn rudder shoe bushing. It is just sloppy and the rudder may be rubbing on the shoe. Again this will be a spring haulout project. I have found two Seattle yards that know what I'm talking about and can do the work. I have also read of a repair using a bronze or brass filled epoxy. That may be an option too.

That was about it. We really are loving her more every time we go out. Backing is an adventure, but that is a design thing shared by many of her type.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook