SailNet Community - View Single Post - New sails, brands, quality, price.
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
My boat is similar in size and look to yours, but an older Jeanneau Arcadia.
If the hull etc is equal, You will want a GOOD main, 155, 110-120, and an 80-85% HS head sails depending upon the winds you are in. I find the 155 is good to around 15 knots true depending upon the temps and wind strength, 110 is good from 15 up to around 30 with a double reef, from that point up, the 110 by itself or why I wish I had a 3/4 hoist sail with about a 100% LP. That would get me to about 40 mph, then I could switch over to a storm jib.

I went with a UK tape drive main, I like it, not issues with the local UK group. There are some just as good, better priced main sail options for how I use the boat, IE Ullmans CAL main, or they and others also have some GPS or pentex tri radial mains that would work as well too for about 1/3 the cost. A dacron main will run about 1500-2000, A string ala 3dl, tape drive 3500-4000, pentex in the mid 2000 range.

My 155 is an ullman fiberpath. I should have only had one side coated with the taffeta protective layer. That makes it a bit too heavy in 5-8 knot winds. Otherwise I do like the sail.
The 110 is a north norlam. Not sure I would recomend a norlam, as it is pretty shot after 5 yrs, I ave been hearing a lot of folks saying they do not last near as long as North says you will get! For the price or a shade more, I could have gotten a pentex or equal. with better life compared to those I know with pentex/gp or equal sails.
I also have a CAL 140 I use for cruising. I should have gone to a 130-135, as I have a babystay to haul this around, the smaller sail would be nicer for two people, as now I really need a person upfront to bring the sail around the stay.
I have a 130 30z spin nylon drifter for the under 5 knot days. Ullman made this one too.
I have an asymetric that is about 90% of full size. Happy with my purchase, it is also getting a bit used after 5 yrs. Next around will be a full code 5 per phrf specs. I bought that sail purposely small, as I had not used a spin before. figured if I started racing I would then get a full size symetric, as around here on Puget sound those usually make a better spin to deal with than an AS.

I think you will find most of the sail lofts are pretty good to work with, at least local in Seattle, this is the case.

marty