SailNet Community - View Single Post - New sails, brands, quality, price.
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You are a little lighter by maybe 600 lbs, 100 of that is ballast. Otherwise, real similar specs, ie a post fastnet ior half ton style boat.
You do have a fractional vs my masthead rig. You are a bit more main oriented than I based on measurements on sailbat data
you ELITE 30 sailboat on sailboatdata.com
Arcadia ARCADIA 30 (JEANNEAU) sailboat on sailboatdata.com

I will also admit, to get to 15-18 knots with the 155, total sa at 540# I do need 5-6 folks on the rail! if not, then as you find, probably 10-12 is about max if it is just say 2 of us. Summer when the wind is less dense vs winter, I can go 2-4 knots higher before having to reduce and reef!

A thought I had later. for me any how, a new main in dacron would probably work well too, but I am 190# vs my 155 at 345#. Your main is listed at 250 and a base jib at 161. Some of my recommendations may not be as good as one would hope.
If you are going to race, be somewhat competitive, do not be surprised if you have say a 110 if that is max size for your boat, a lighter sail fro winds to 7-8 knots, then one to get you from 7knots to upwards of 15 knots. You should be able to get to that range with your normal suit of sails. If you have original sails, they could very well be blewn out, you are not getting good pressure from them, and are heeling more than going forward. At times after getting my 110, I found that it worked with the original main better than the original 135. When I got the 155, I could sail in higher winds, faster etc especially after getting the new main too!

Sail material.... I'm probably pretty good for your boat overall.

Marty