SailNet Community - View Single Post - New sails, brands, quality, price.
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
If you want fancy racing sails for your boat you should probably go with the local loft in OKC. If you just want nice new dacron sails you could go with an outfit like this one: The Sailwarehouse
We bought a new loose footed, full battened main from them this summer. $1k less then local yard just made in Thailand.
To illustrate a point that was previously made (by puddlings?). I have had a partner with my sailboat for about 8 years. 7 years ago we needed a new jib and roller furler so I started dealing with the local Doyle loft in Huntington, NY. They were pleasant to deal with and they installed a new Furlex 100 unit and made us a new 150% genoa which have both worked flawlessly since then. We have even been winning races in our PHRF division this year. My boat partner has always seemed to have some sort of contempt for the 150% jib, probably because our old jib was bigger, more like a 176%.
This sail has only about 7 seasons of use and has a few rips as a result but it still shapes well and furls/reefs way better then our old genoa that was torn to shreds in a mishap. I like the sail and the loft that made it.
My boat partner, by contrast, has never liked the sail and blames the loft for some wrong that I can't fathom and even threatens to buy a new genoa if he comes into the cash (even though I know this one still has some life left in it).
I think he is nuts but it would not hurt to retire our current genny to a backup role.
So there you have it: 2 sailors, 3 opinions.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook