SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing the hose between the propeller shaft stuffing box and shaft log tube
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011

Traveling Light is on a distinguished road
Stuffing Box Hose Replacement

I am in the process of doing this now. I approached the job by reading whatever I could find on the web and a few books I have. Most articles suggested it would be a very difficult task due to age (1982 Peasrson 28-1). I also obtained an estimate of $1100. I used penetrating oil on the various parts and let them set for a week. I went to the yard yesterday and everything went perfect. The two set screws have been removed from the transmission coupling (trans in neutral - I don't know if this matters) and the prop shaft is 80% (about 1.5 ") out of the transmission. I added more penetrating oil and will return in about a week to pull it all the way out. The stuffing box hose has been removed and bronze device (coupler?) that holds the packing came apart quite easily.

My advice would be to clear everything out of the area you are going to work in and lay in a couple of cushions to prop yourself on. Also, make sure you have good lighting and ventillation and have your phone in a spot you can reach if someone calls you.

I do not have the project complete yet but I felt pretty good with what I accomplished and now know more about the boat than I did before whoich is always a plus.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook