SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing the hose between the propeller shaft stuffing box and shaft log tube
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Light View Post
I am in the process of doing this now. I approached the job by reading whatever I could find on the web and a few books I have. Most articles suggested it would be a very difficult task due to age (1982 Peasrson 28-1). I also obtained an estimate of $1100. I used penetrating oil on the various parts and let them set for a week. I went to the yard yesterday and everything went perfect. The two set screws have been removed from the transmission coupling (trans in neutral - I don't know if this matters) and the prop shaft is 80% (about 1.5 ") out of the transmission. I added more penetrating oil and will return in about a week to pull it all the way out. The stuffing box hose has been removed and bronze device (coupler?) that holds the packing came apart quite easily.
Boy did you get lucky! and that "bronze device (coupler?) that holds the packing" - that would BE the stuffing box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 11-01-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook