SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jib halyard ends with a 4:1 block???
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by village idiot View Post
Hi all,

I've been sailing low tech for several years (hobie cats and most recently a 19' mariner) and figured it was time to move up to a boat big enough for the family to weekend on. I was looking for some time, but recently found a nice '83 C+C 29. It's already out of the water and shrink wrapped for winter but, needles to say, I'm dreaming of warmer weather already.

My question is, the jib halyard ends not with a simple shackle, but with 2 blocks (and a separate line) that give a 4:1 advantage. It just seems strange having all that equipment way up at the head of the sail if I can just winch the halyard tighter. Am I missing something???

Thanks for any help
Sounds like this is not the set up for sailing. Could be they just stuck the vang there for the winter. Maybe to tighten up the halyard so it won't slap against the mast and spreaders.
I guess it could be some crazy concoction to adjust headsail tension, but I sort of doubt it....is the line long enough to lead aft?...still crazy, but you never know what some people will come up with...then again...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook