SailNet Community - View Single Post - Berths, WCs and Bilges
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011

hrt is on a distinguished road
Berths, WCs and Bilges

About two years ago I sailed a 1985 38' Beneteau Idylle from Alameda to Brisbane, Australia.

The yacht had V berths, two wide settee berths and a quarter berth. As expected the V berths were unusable at sea, while I found the quarter berth a trial to get in and out of for one not so young. The settee berths worked well under all conditions.

The yacht also had a forward facing WC offset from the centreline, and a bilge that held no more than about three gallons of water - more than that on board and it would slosh about above the sole.

Looking at photos of similar sized more modern yachts I see narrow and curved settees and sideward facing WCs. I cannot tell how deep the bilges are from the photos - but I hope they are deeper than mine were.

I have owned one yacht which had a centreline WC. It was easy to use and the user was unaffected by heel - in this regard, I do not think there is anything more uncomfortable than sitting on a toilet which faces uphill at a steep angle.

Likewise, I do not know how crew sleep in a modern yacht which has curved and often enough, narrow settees.

When discussing boats on the forum, I don't see anyone talking about the points I have mentioned. Am I the only one who thinks they matter?

Cheers,

HRT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook