SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 26 vs. ?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2001

jiml2p is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26 vs. ?

Thank you all for your input so far.

I still haven''t decided if I am going to go with the MacGregor or not. I can see that there are huge differences between the MacGregor and other sailboats and many people are adamant about what they like or don''t like about that boat.

I am still going to do alot of research as well as soul-searching about what I am looking for in a boat. I am also planning on test driving as many different sailboats as I can before making a decision.

My current question is this:

What are the major differences between years for the MacGregor? It sounds like around 1999 is when they implemented alot of design changes based on prior customer complaints.
For example, what sort of things should I be concerned about in buying a 1997 vs. a 1999 or 2000? (There is a 1997 near where I live for sale for $19,000 that seems to be fully loaded.)

Oh and one more question. What is it that affects the stability of the boat more, the keel or the ballast, or both? I notice that the water ballast on the MacGregor is located at the bottom of the boat (obviously). On other sailboats that have a standard keel, is the center of mass of the ballast located lower inside the keel thereby creating more stability? Does this difference in ballast location affect the performance alot or a little?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook