SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
In re liveaboard berth availability.

That is generally true. It def was during the dot bomb era, and the primary reason I did not go liveaboard back then.

However, at this point, its a buyer's market, so many are selling boats + transferrable berths. Additionally, some are just up and walking away from their boats, leaving the dock owners to clean up the mess (i.e., getting legal title changes, hauling the boats out if they're beyond repair, selling them, etcetera). There are a lot of them that are losing money right now. So, some are even open to someone walking in, taking over slip payments, including paying the in arrears, and paying the fees to get the title, tax, etc transferred over. Most of those boats need work. Not surprisingly. After all, someone who would walk away like that is not likely to truly care for their vessel. The more responsible boat owners are, of course, trying to sell their boats while offering transferable berths. I haven't seen many where they're selling the berths as well, though, I have been keeping an eye out for those, too. Nonetheless, I'm looking at and am open to any of the three scenarios... weighing the pros & cons, etc.

In re the Santana 30. How do you like it? I take it you're living on it, right? I notice a lot of Catalina 30s, and there are a couple of Lancer 30s that appear to be decent but haven't seen any Santana 30s. At least at this point.

Btw, and aside. Wrt whether I'll like living aboard? A very close friend of mine regularly texts me with the latest "why you don't want to live aboard" messages. He's a sailor, lived aboard for about a year, and says he won't try that again. I def welcome that perspective, esp shoulda coulda wouldas. You know, what you would have done differently if you had known. Am also interested in cases that failed and why. The main thing I've been seeing is, go smaller, not bigger. Which has caused me to rethink the target boat size.

And finally, I've been combing this thread bc it goes into a lot of tech details.

Selecting the Ideal Liveaboard Monohull Sailboat - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook