SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tiny Dehumidifiers
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
RD,
I'm torn between dehumidification and the Nicro vents. The dehumidification seems a good way to solve the problem of moisture in the cabin. However, unless I rig the dehumidifier to empty into the sink or another container (which then re-introduces the water into the air), it sounds like I'll have to make a weekly trip out to the boat to empty the tank. Knowing my personal schedule, I don't think that's likely. So, I'm stuck having it empty into a bucket (again, with the potential evaporation issues that brings with it) or empty into the drain. Not exactly a deal breaker, but it seems somewhat counterproductive. I'm OK with the shore-power only issue; I'll mostly be doing day sailing and occasional overnights, and most of the overnights will be at the dock, so that's not a big deal. The dehumidification should also make the air in the cabin feel cooler, which is good for the shore in the summer.

By contrast, the Nicro is solar powered and runs (essentially) constantly. I don't know that you need a second Nicro (on my C25, the companionway cover has vents, and the pop-top and hatch have areas where the air can easily enter), though I can certainly see where having a second one would make things even more efficient. The Nicro helps encourage air flow through the cabin, thus allowing the humidity levels inside and outside the cabin to remain relatively equal, which in turn reduces the condensation within the boat. There's nothing to empty, and I don't have to worry about float switches that don't trigger (not that a pint of water is really going to be a killer). The Nicro will also help move dryer air into the cabin, thus allowing for more effective evaporation of any water that may be in the bilge. Of course, unlike the dehumidifier, the Nicro won't make the air feel cooler (it doesn't move enough air to be a true "fan"), and it only ever dries out the cabin to the point where it is in equilibrium with the outside air. One Nicro is about $160, so about 3x the cost of the dehumidifier. That makes the dehumidifier very attractive, but I'm still not completely convinced. Can you help convince me? []

Also, what do you do over the winter? Are you back to Damprid?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook