SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tragedy on Lake Texoma
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Tragedy on Lake Texoma

I know they're not sailboats but....

Five people lost their lives yesterday on Lake Texoma when their boats collided in a “poker run”

The man that owns the green boat, "Nashville Catz" spoke to me briefly Saturday AM. He had just pulled in, and As I was focusing the camera, he yelled over to me...

"Hey, You wouldn't happen to have 5 bucks so I can launch this beast would ya? I'm Broke! "

He laughed and said that he was just kidding. Less than 5 hours later his spouse would be dead, and he's in grave condition in Parkland Hospital.

The thing that really twists me about this is that its been said that the Flash Gordon boat had steering problems while at one of the stops, and had "problems" getting away from the gas dock because of the steering problems.

There is no excuse for two boats travelling at 100mph to be ANYWHERE NEAR EACH OTHER on a 89,000 acre lake.

Four people in the other boat "Flash Gordon" were killed on impact.
That boats website is here...

http://flashgordonproductions.com/

I have enclosed pictures of the Nashville Catz boat, and Flash Gordons boat, before the collision.

Here is the story from the local paper.

The collision of two speed boats at Lake Texoma Saturday killed five people and injured another. Tim Hayes, vice president at High Port Marina, said Saturday started, “as a perfect day,” but ended up “an absolute tragedy,”

He said the High Roller Poker Run II was under way with around 60 boats involved when the news started coming in that there had been an “awful accident.”

"It involved six people, four in one boat and two in another," Oklahoma Highway Trooper Kera Philippi said.

Although Philippi couldn’t release the names of the dead and injured pending the notification of relatives, Hayes confirmed that the four people killed in a boat called “Flash Gordon” were speed boat driver and promoter Gordon Mineo, his wife Anne and their daughter and future son-in-law.

Hayes couldn’t identify the two people from the second boat. They were flown by medical helicopters to area hospitals. The sole survivor of the collision, Philippi said, was taken to Parkland Hospital in Dallas. A woman on that boat was taken to Texoma Medical Center in Denison “where she succumbed to her injuries,” Philippi said.

Hayes said the accident happened about a mile west of the U.S. Highway 377 over pass on the west end of the lake near Willis Bridge.

The collision occurred when one boat was hit on its side in the middle by the other watercraft, Philippi said.

Hayes said Poker Run was not sponsored by HighPort, but the awards dinner was to be held there at the end. The game is played by participating teams getting a card at each of five different stops and then comparing their cards at the end of the game. The team with the best poker had at the end wins.

Hayes said the accident stopped the event but other activities at the lake continued. He said poker runs have been a tradition on the lake for around 20 years and none have ever ended in a tragedy like the one that happened Saturday.

After confirming that the events were an economic boom to the merchants around the lake, Hayes said he is not sure what kind of an impact the collision will have on the practice.

“I am sure it won’t be good though,” Hayes said.

He said the drivers of both of the boats involved “were world class” and have many years of experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boat4-lg.jpg (17.9 KB, 780 views)
File Type: jpg Boat13-lg.jpg (24.8 KB, 746 views)
File Type: jpg Boat17-lg.jpg (17.4 KB, 745 views)
File Type: jpg catz1.jpg (87.2 KB, 752 views)
File Type: jpg catz2.jpg (89.6 KB, 752 views)

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook