SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tiny Dehumidifiers
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
DampRid is what I use in the winter. Even if I had a Nicro vent, I'd need to do DampRid in the off season because my boat cover would block the sun.

For the dehumidifier, you can just drill a hole in the back of the pan and put it in your galley sink. Then you don't need to check it weekly. If you want to be a little fancier, glue a small hose barb into the pan and attach a Tygon hose into the drain - then your sink won't even get wet. I have not done this because so far I've gone to the boat frequently and wanted the water available to top off the battery if it needed it. But I will probably drill the hole next season.

I actually ordered a Nicro vent from WM but the order never come in due to a recall due to defect. I read around a little and learned that their batteries wear out pretty frequently. Then I remembered that when shopping for boats, the ones that had Nicro vents were never operating. I came across this Peltier-type dehumidifier by chance and decided to try it instead, and I've been happy with it ever since.

You are correct, I would not need a second Nicro vent. Since I posted that, I've realized that my boat has enough "little leaks" that there would be enough fugitive exhaust if I had one Nicro vent blowing in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook