SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tiny Dehumidifiers
View Single Post
post #29 of Old 11-02-2011 Thread Starter
TakeFive

DampRid is what I use in the winter. Even if I had a Nicro vent, I'd need to do DampRid in the off season because my boat cover would block the sun.

For the dehumidifier, you can just drill a hole in the back of the pan and put it in your galley sink. Then you don't need to check it weekly. If you want to be a little fancier, glue a small hose barb into the pan and attach a Tygon hose into the drain - then your sink won't even get wet. I have not done this because so far I've gone to the boat frequently and wanted the water available to top off the battery if it needed it. But I will probably drill the hole next season.

I actually ordered a Nicro vent from WM but the order never come in due to a recall due to defect. I read around a little and learned that their batteries wear out pretty frequently. Then I remembered that when shopping for boats, the ones that had Nicro vents were never operating. I came across this Peltier-type dehumidifier by chance and decided to try it instead, and I've been happy with it ever since.

You are correct, I would not need a second Nicro vent. Since I posted that, I've realized that my boat has enough "little leaks" that there would be enough fugitive exhaust if I had one Nicro vent blowing in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Take Five is for sale (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome