SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Owner 473
Thread: New Owner 473
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011

wgkenney is on a distinguished road
473 electrical drawing

I have a 2006 Beneteau 473 here in the Chesapeake Bay. I like to understand how the systems on the boat lay out so I will often use simplified schematics to help me remember how this all ties together. My 473 is a stock electrical system and I have a Westerbeke 7.6 genset with it.

I spent a fair amout of time this summer reading all the component manuals, talking to owners and mfg reps, and tracing my electrical system. I was able to construct this diagram for my boat.

I have 5 switches. Negative (just isolates the systems when turned to off), Diesel start, House, Inverter, Genset start battery. These are tied together with a Freedom Marine 20 charger / inverter, Xantrex Link 1000.

The genset system is completely seperate and the genset start battery is charged by the alternator on the genset. Then the genset puts power onto the AC buses (through a manual transfer so I cannot put shore and genset on AC bus at the same time) and the genset can supply the batter charger to charge the other batteries.

My anchor windless and electric winch have circuit breakers right next to the battery switch. I'm still looking for the breaker for the bowthruster (project for when I put the boat in storage and all the beding is out of the forward cabin). The bowthruster and windless are linked in with a relay to the diesel so I cannot operate either of them unless the diesel is on line.

That inverter switch really just isolates the charger / inverter for when you work on them. No battery connected to it. And you can see from the diagram that the charger / inverter ties in on the battery side of the house switch.

My house and diesel batteries can be online in parrallel if I need to.

My normal set up is genset switch ON, inverter switch ON, house switch ON, diesel battery OFF, Negative ON. The freedom marine 20 has an echo charger that is hooked to the diesel start battery. So I typically leave that battery isolated. The echo charger keeps a trickle charge on it so I don't over charge. I start the diesel with my house batteries. Benefit is I rarely ever change my switch line up and the diesel battery is there fully charged all the time in case of an emergency and my house batteries are dead.

See the attached chart. Hope this helps. Love my 473. It was a great investment for my family
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skylarker Electircal Jpeg Version.jpg (52.2 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook