SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living Aboard Cheap- Dreamers read!
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Neverknow, I think we all got off to a wrong start, so I’d like to re-wind and start again. Please forgive the long time Sail netters like myself who may appear a little jaded and cynical. Every so often, a starry eyed poster will come on this board, looking more for validation than advice. They take umbrage with the advice given, get a little combative and defensive, then do what they want. Unfortunately, often times they wind up buying the wrong boat and soon after the first problems start to develop, they abandon this board, and I assume, the sailing lifestyle they first aspired to. People here are trying to be helpful, even if they may come off a little preachy at times.

Mind if I ramble off a few random thoughts? There is a big difference between the romance and reality. Most starry eyed dreamers don’t seem to grasp this. You might have heard the old saying, “cruising is fixing your boat in exotic locations”. And unfortunately, the cost of repairs is directly proportional to the distance from your home port. Read Sequitur’s blogs for a good dose of reality (and romance too!). Second, boats are expensive (but you already know that). Remember, all boats consume dead dinosaurs. Power boats in their tanks and sailboats, their sails. The last suit of sails for my 34 footer cost northwards of $7K (and that was before $4 a gallon gas). The only thing on a sailboat that’s free is wind, everything else costs – a lot. Property on dry land appreciates, boats depreciate. We have all heard of that friend of a friend who made money when selling his boat. I don’t want to meet that guy, I want to meet his buyer! If you think you’re being insulted on this thread, wait until you get those low ball offers when you sell your boat. Sailboats have much smaller living spaces than a powerboat. You would need to get a forty foot or more sailboat to get the same spaciousness as your Carver. The fuel economy in a sailboat is only marginally better than a trawler of the same displacement. And when you’re cruising, you got tons of supplies, spare parts and what not all over the place. We keep photos of our boat on christening day just to remind us what it is supposed to look like. Blue water sailing isn’t everybody’s cup of tea. My own MrsB has twenty years of experience but absolutely refuses drive the boat at night in 30kt breezes and 10-15 swells. I only learned that nugget last year when we were about 100 NM off the coast of Baja. Wander the boatyards in places like San Carlos or Lorrieto, and you will see where too many cruiser’s dreams came to die. As patronizing as it sounds, I don’t want that to be your fate.

One final thought… Sailing is only slightly more addictive than crack cocaine! Save yourself before it is too late! God, I love it so and I cannot bear the thought of life without it. For every rotten 90 degree day you spend unclogging a marine head, there is a magical moment when everything is just perfect, the boat skipping along on a sparkling sea under sun filled skies. Enjoy the journey.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook