SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living Aboard Cheap- Dreamers read!
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
GeorgeB

I'd like to thank you for your time. You have some great points and in site. some things we know for sure.

We will retire

It will be on a boat somewhere.

For almost 30 yrs we have had cabin cruiser type boats. We have spent untold nights/weekends and weeks living aboard.

You know how when you go to the marina in the middle of the week or every weekend and there's that one boat that there's always someone there? That us. We are always amazed at how many ppl we never see and we are always there.

I'm not sure why but working on a boat is not really work to us at all. Expensive yes but work no. A few summers ago I spent the 4th of July weekend replacing a leaking holding tank. It was gross and hot but still somehow it wasn't that bad. The bonus was I now know more about that system on a Carver 3227 than most do.

As we said before this plan of ours has been well thought out. However we know that even a war plan is changed once the first shot is fired. We have no pie in the sky visions to be ruined. We will do as we have always done take one day and one step at a time.

We have been looking for a boat around 36ft +/- 4 foot. So your 40ft est is right on our target. The fuel usage is something we have taken into account already. The wild card there is just how often will we use the engine??? We know that depends on us. We have read stories where ppl have sailed around the world without a engine at all. Clearly that won't be us.

Budgeting our monthly expenses is hard to project at this point but we are working on it every few months and comparing it to what we'll have in savings. Again wild cards are everywhere, however we are dumpster diving type ppl, so we tend to stretch every dollar for every penny we can.

Fixing a boat is not a problem for us, in fact I'll probably be fixing most other ppl's boats if they need the help. I'm kind of the go to guy for everyone I know when something is broken. It's just something I've always been extremely good at. Of coarse there's the cost of parts to consider.

We'll be starting out more than likely on the east coast or gulf coast for a few yrs learning our boat and learning to sail before setting out for the Islands. My guess is it will be yrs before we go much farther. No hurry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook