SailNet Community - View Single Post - Atomic 4 paint, cheap!
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
I don't know if any of you have figured this out yet. I doubt that I'm the only one, but for those who might not have found it, I lucked into the perfect budget paint for A4s, at Lowes. It's a high heat Rust-o-leum in spray cans and it comes in the perfect copper color. It's so close that when I changed fuel pumps, the new one was painted with the original paint and it matched the Rust-o-leum very nicely.

I painted my engine last spring and it has held up well. One of the things I noticed about some of the Atomic 4 paints available, is that they required a coat of Rust-o-leum under them. Plus I've used standard Rust-o-leum on many engines, but I would usually use a Bar-be-que black for the high heat areas. So this find was much better.
I prefer a white engine in a boat for two reasons - it improves visibility of the nooks and crannies in the usual poorly lit engine compartment and it highlights oil leaks, coolant leaks, rust and all the other nasties much better than the usual factory colours. I painted my Perkins white and most people don't know what it is.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook