I'd probably wait until between the 3rd week of January and the 3rd week of February. You really want to wait for the major snowfalls to hit and the temps to drop. Plus, half the excitement of sailing is when a Nor'Easter hits and the waves kick up and the wind howls, right?
Ok.....the above posted statement is purely sarcasm displayed. It is not intended for consumption. I just found it whimsical that a never-before sailor is looking to sail his new-to-him boat all the way down the East coast of the U.S., so I tho't sarcasm was the best response.
If you're really asking; then get a professional to sail this boat for you or consider having it trucked down or something. We just had a thread similar to this where the unlucky captain's boat is now lying on the bottom of the Atlantic. Please make the safe decision.