SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hot Rodding an A4
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
I'm not planning on doing it, I don't even own one, it's just curiosity. I've seen A4's in some pretty big boats and it won't swing much of a prop so I figured a torque increase could be useful in many cases. Overheating was a problem with Ford flatheads because the exhaust ports went through the water jacket - I don't know if that's the case in an A4. A bigger prop would be the nautical equivalent of a set of gears, so yeah - a set of 4:11's

I fully understand about the durability value of an engine being lightly stressed. That is why I stated several times that I'm talking about MODERATE modifications - things like line honing the mains, balancing the rotating assembly, improving oil drainback and so forth actually increase durability while they enhance performance. Pretty well everything I mentioned would add little or no cost to a normal "bolt it together" rebuild as well - it's mostly just craftsmanship.

I'm not talking here about throwing a blower or dual 4's on it, just a careful and precise build with a few bits of performance enhancing technology.

For those who think it is already optimized, think of the original Chevy small block - wonderful engine, IMHO the overall best engine of any kind ever made BUT it was extremely easy to improve everything about them simply by improving them from a mass production build standard to a precise "machinist" standard - with no decrease and usually an increase in durability.

Keep those responses coming in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook