SailNet Community - View Single Post - Surveyors
Thread: Surveyors
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001
I think it's always advisable to use a broker. He acts the same way a realestate broker protecting your interest as well as providing a knowledge base that goes beyond what a normal buyer would know. If you haven't signed any papers yet a broker can advise you on conditions you should include in your offer to ensure you don't get shafted. He also know the fair market value of the boat. As I said before,as long as you are buying a brokerage boat, it costs you nothing and it costs the seller no more. It's free for you so why not take advantage of it. If it's a private deal then it will cost, however.
While I agree 100% that it makes sense to work with a trusted broker during the boat search process who can advise you and do your footwork, I'm not sure that broker is really "your" broker, and it would be very akward to bring another broker into an in-process sale. If I were the listing broker, I'd tell you to get lost at that point - you are asking him to split the selling fee with someone who has not contributed to the sale. I am not aware of yacht brokers who contract as "buyers' brokers - not that it may not happen, I just haven't seen it myself. Usually when you work with "your" broker who links you to a listing broker, both brokers are paid by the seller, and strictly speaking, are the sellers' representatives. If you want advice about the purchase agreement, take the standard agreement have have a lawyer review and adjust (http://www.oceanmarinellc.com/broker...0and%20sale%22) ,

As to the C&C 34, you should understand that this model represented C&Cs' first use of a cored hull, and based on the damage that can occur from sriking a hard object (and not necessarily striking that object hard...) they were obviusly not far up the learing curve. I knew the owner of one of the first 34s, when he pulled the boat after the first season, cracks at the front and back of the hull dripped for weeks due to water absorbed by the hull from hitting a rock. Damage to the keel itself was neglible. Racing out of Boston habor, hitting rocks was a common occurance and with the original C&Cs was never a cause for concern. FWIW the C&C 35 mark II is a much better boat in every regard, for my last purchase I looked for one for a year before I went elsewhwere.

Last edited by sailingfool; 09-04-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook