SailNet Community - View Single Post - Berths, WCs and Bilges
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Not in specific threads but when discussing boat interiors I've often whinged about the lack of decent seaberths.

Personally I like to bunk down in the saloon. A decent u-shaped settee (not a semi circle) with a straight settee opposite allows a crewmember to get a good sleep while still allowing the saloon table to be used. Decent lee clothes of course make it all the better.

Problem with sleeping in quarter berth is that it often becomes a repository for assorted 'stuff' though in bumpy seas it can be quite nice to have a sail as a sleeping companion.

Sleeping in the v-verth is going to depend on sea conditions to some extent but except when you are slamming badly to windward its often not as bad as is generally thought, or at least that has been the case on boats I've sailed on, non of which could be considered super modern.

As for the bilges, this is one of my biggest complaints about modern boats indeed when we passed on buying Wasquiez and Hanse it was a major consideration in both cases.

All of that said , it is fair to ask (as per previous posts this thread) how many times do the vast majority of boats spend at sea ? Reality is that very very few boats do any overnight passages and when they do most might spend a day or two at sea in any given year. Sea berths as such become a pretty minor consideration in such circumstances.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook