SailNet Community - View Single Post - Live Aboard Recomended Boat List
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
You have a great idea here Archangel. It would be great to have such a list at my fingertips. I have to agree with CaptainForce though because I think almost any boat on the market can qualify as a potential liveaboard. I've been researching various boats that will work well as both a liveaboard and cruising platform that will work well for me. Almost invariably the advice I get from those who have lived aboard for many years has been to define the geographical area of use and create a list of "must have's" as well as a budget. Be practical and realistic. Then look for boats that fit that bill. Get actual experience, talk to others with similar cruising goals and find out what works and what don't.

As I have went through this process I have found that choosing the right boat for me is a very personal thing. I have seen lists of boats that have been catagorized by their intended design use, by their capabilities as offshore boats, and even lists that place each boat manufacturer into a catagory based on their general cost and they don't consider age, condition, or location. But never a list as you propose.

A list I would REALLY like to see is one catagorized by intended use, with sub-headings for general geographical location. Under each catagory would be a list of desired features for each type of use, ie. liveaboard, coastal, offshore, extended voyaging. Frankly, since I intend on going offshore, the hardest part of my research has been to try to figure out what boat features, equipment, and capabilities qualify a boat to achieve this. Then, keeping in mind I will also be living aboard when not cruising, I need to figure out the best boat features for that catagory, then search for boats that will be safe and comfortable for both worlds and that will also please my eye.

There are so many variables and cost has become a much smaller piece of the puzzle than I originally thought. I will be watching your thread though, in hopes that it will grow into the useful tool you want it to be. I wish I could contribute but I don't feel I have the practical experience to do so.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook