SailNet Community - View Single Post - House or Boat?
Thread: House or Boat?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, I just noticed this thread kept rolling after I left it a little over a year ago. I want to thank everyone for their input. I enjoyed reading all of the thoughful, reasoned responses; and have pulled a few good considerations from them even after the fact.

Just to close the loop, we ended up building a house in Florida (prices were VERY attractive, and we capitalized on the low interest rates), and we are now keeping the boat at a great marina nearby.

The folks who said the operating costs of a home were high were certainly not joking. Interest, insurance, property tax, landscaping service, utilities, etc, etc, etc can certainly take a toll (not to mention the operating costs of the boat as well); but all in all I am pleased with the decision.

I am happy to say that this is not the end of the story though. Beginning next month we are going to begin the process of downsizing, and getting things in order for a year's leave of absence in the Caribbean.

The house will go up for rent beginning Nov 2012, the first of our vehicles is getting sold next month (doesn't get much use anyway), furniture and personnal effects will go into storage, and we'll go from there. Right now I am working on a rough itinerary, routing, and am in the middle of outfitting the boat for longer-term cruising.

While it's not the "all or nothing" answer I thought we'd be living by this stage, it's a pretty solid compromise. I'm hoping we use this opportunity to reassess our priorities, and enjoy some MUCH needed decompression.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook