SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring Pendant Length
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011

follysurf is on a distinguished road
What do you guys use for chafe gear? I am on a mooring and have tried several different styles of protection including some that are heavy fabric and secure with wire ties and one that wraps around the line and is secured with tightly wound electrical tape, which seems to work a bit better. The one with wire ties tends to bunch up into one place over time. Last night I checked on the boat and one of the pennants had broken free from where it was rubbing against the ball. I am guessing barnacles got the best of it. I am thinking of using plastic flexible tubing from Lowes to cover the entire pennant. Any ideas?

upeil1: I have a similar set up and have been succesful with securing the two pennants to the dingy and have the pick up line (which is much longer) strategically placed on the dingy so I can retrieve that first and tie off the boat and then grab the primary pennats. This has kept them from wrapping around the chain. I am also looking at getting a couple floats and putting them about 1-2 feet off the ball, and then evry 2 feet (similar to Maine Sails photo) which should solve the problem without having to tie them to the dingy. Ultimately it is about being able to drop the lines and go!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook