SailNet Community - View Single Post - What happens if...
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
What happens if...

Something strange happened Thursday afternoon while sailing in Fisher's Island Sound.

Close hauled with the current we where having a great time in 25 - 30 knots of wind.

C&C 30 MK1, full main, 135 jib rolled up a couple of turns to maybe 130??

Passed by an area that gets shallow, so, wind against the current + shallow water = steep chop.

At the same time the wind seemed to really gust higher.

Something strange happened at this time, the boat heeled over further than I think she ever has. Close to a knock down with rail buried DEEP in the water.

The boat appeared to stall or slow considerably and the rudder felt like it locked up. I could not steer much at all.

I luffed, furled the jib and tried to fall of to gain a bit of speed under just the mainsail.

Still did not appear to gain speed, felt stalled. I though lobster pot? (Shallower water/rocks in New England = more pots. Did I snag one?)

I looked over the stern and though I saw a what could have been a line but there was so much turbulence coming off the rudder I could not be sure.

Looking forward to check my heading and sail trim I was about to as my girlfriend to go below and grab the line cutter. I checked over the stern one more time and could not see anything and it appeared some of the turbulence was gone. At the same time we picked up a little speed and off we went.

Note: We where only out for a short sail in familiar waters so I didn't bother turning on any electronics. I have no idea about speed over ground or through the water.

So after all that information, my question is:
Would a lobster pot line around the rudder while close hauled with a bit too much sail up cause the boat to come close to a knock down situation? I don't think we ever completely stopped so I'm not sure if we would have rounded down or what...??
If not, any idea what happened?

In 10 yrs of sailing the boat I've never come that close to losing control. C&C 30 MK1's are notoriously stiff beasts and I was having a blast up until that time. In fact, I've had more sail up in heavier winds with less drastic effects.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook