SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Very "HR"-ish isn't she? Looks nice despite the 'low tech' aspect. Plenty of handholds below, reasonable storage. The table's a bit obstructive, but that's the nature of that configuration. Still 'yachty' enough for me!
I guess you are talking about the new line of Aft cockpits from the HR (372 and the new 40)? Yes it is similar and also similar with the X yachts line of cruising boats, the XC line.

You can see on the movie that table folds over the other side and leaves a nice space. That's the new trend with tables. The first one was the Jeanneau 409 and now lots of boats following including the new Grand Soleil 39 and Solaris 37. The Salona has one of those on the 44 and I ask them to make one for the 38. We will see.

I like the boat but for me is too Mercedes or BMW. I like more Porches

Compare it with this one, also a new one a 37ft, called 10.98, from Italia Yachts:

As you can see both boats share a very classical look with a hull with the beam not too much pulled back but the similarities end there. This one that also has a good interior, more on the minimalist side, weights about half what the Saare 38 weights

Tecnichal specifications:
Length over all: 11,29 mt. (37,04 ft.)
Hull length: mt. 10,98 (36,02 ft.)
Waterline length: mt. 9,65 (31,66 ft.)
Beam max: mt. 3,65 (11,97 ft.)
Draft: mt. 1,90 (6,23 ft.)
Displacement: kg 4.500
Ballast: kg 1.500
Engine: Lombardini 20 Hp (Lombardini engine 30 hp optional)
Mainsail + Jib: 72 mq
Mainsail + Gennaker: 135 mq

Of course that implies a more hi-tech construction the and the use of vinylester resin not only on the last layers but everywhere:

"Hull and deck are constructed in sandwich with differentiated density PVC core; the unidirectional and biaxial E-glass fibres are laminated with vinylester resin. The lamination is carried out at controlled temperature between 16 and 25°.The collar of the mast is structural.There is a structural carbon reinforced frame glued and laminated to the hull bottom. A structural carbon box dissipates the shrouds load to the hull and deck."

They say about the boat:

Italia 10.98 is a new boat built by a shipyard able to boast a fifty-years long experience. It is well manufactured to last a lifetime. Waterlines and sailing plan are the brainchild of Maurizio Cossutti and they are made to ensure an incomparable navigation experience.

The wide teak cockpit, the sundeck and the perfect location of the manoeuvres on deck: nothing is left random to ensure great sailing simplicity both in cruising and racing. The luminous and comfortable interiors, finished in precious teak wood, are among the widest and richest of innovative solutions in its category.

and some movies:

The guy that test sailed the Salona 38 with me (in Croatia) was undicided between the Salona 38 and this one. I guess that he chose this one. He was Italian and wanted a cruising boat that could make well in club racing and both boats will do that, but this one should be a rocket, specially with weak winds.

If I do not intended to cross the Atlantic and sail without limits, If I just sailed on the med I guess that I would also chose this one. As it is not the case I prefer the Salona 38 that is just between this one (more 2000kg) and the Saare 38 (less 2000kg).

I am afraid that the Italia 10.98 is not strong enough for the beating a boat can have on an Ocean passage but maybe I am wrong, maybe the boat is strong enough but I am sure the Salona is stronger.

The Salona (the upgraded version) not only is built with the same hi-tech materials and techniques as have also a grid (a stainless steel one) not only for the shrouds, but also for the keel. The Salona also uses vacuum infusion that is the way to get maximum strength with the lowest weight.

Maybe I am wrong, but using the same hi-tech materials and techniques, if a boat is considerably heavier, assuming it is well built, it can only be stronger.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook