SailNet Community - View Single Post - no start Yanmar
Thread: no start Yanmar
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011

rchad is on a distinguished road
no start Yanmar

I've been experiencing great frustration trying to get my Yanmar 2GM started for the past few weeks.

Just before Hurricane Irene last August, after some significant rain, I discovered that my fuel tank was covered with water. I pumped the bilge and checked the primary filter for water in the fuel. Finding none, I started it up. The engine started fine and I still noticed no water in the primary filter. I did remove the top cover of the primary filter as I motored up the river to Liberty Marina because I was worried about the possibility of water getting into the engine. Then I feared that I may have introduced air into the fuel line

The motor ran fine for about an hour, but after shutting down, it was hard to start. When it did start I noticed black smoke in the exhaust and the prop complained when I put the boat in gear.. I shut it down and ended up pulling the boat for the season. I've been unable to start it since.

I have bled the system up to the fuel injectors, but still no luck. The engine cranks, seems to fire, but wont run on its own. I've charged the four year old batteries and had them tested. They seem to test OK.

Any ideas as to what to check next?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook