SailNet Community - View Single Post - oil in coolant Ford Lehman
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickAlaska View Post
Hi Guys,

I was changing coolant the other day in my Ford Lehman 4 cyl diesel 85 hp and found some pretty dirty coolant (brownish color, inside of coolant reservior a bit oily too). I immediately thought of a head gasket problem so I bought a Napa combustion gas tester and gave it a try. I followed instructions carefully (got the engine good and warm) and then gave it the test. I used the tester 3 times and received a negative result each time (liquid in tester stayed blue). I suppose this means I dont have a leaking head gasket, but oil appears to be coming in somehow. Any suggestions for what to look for? Some other info....the engine runs like a champ, no loss in power recently, but a bit some blueish smoke out the exhaust. Also, the oil doesnt have a greyish tint and no milky residue on the oil cap (dont see much evidence of water in the heads).

Thanks in advance....Patrick
I've seen some nasty brownish stuff in automobile coolant tanks - it was just dead coolant with some rust and scale in it. I'd flush it with fresh water and refill it with coolant mix, run it until warm, let it cool and pressure test the cooling system first.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook