SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone from South Carolina?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Anyone from South Carolina?

Out cruising, heading south. Good day today, got the current right in the Cape Fear River and got to South Carolina, right near the SC / NC border in Calabash Creek where we anchored. There are about six others anchored here, probably all heading south.

So about 15 minutes ago, a fishing boat with three guys came by our boat and all of the others putting out a huge wake. I signaled for them to slow down and got the shouted comment, "What, are you afraid of a little wake?"

Of course, they have no radio on, so a civilized discussion is out of the question.

What I would like to say to them is this: It's not whether we are afraid of a little wake or not, it's about manners and prudence. We have been in SC for less than an hour and the first locals we meet are rude. Now, we have been here many times, and know that all of South Carolinians are not rude. But for those who are here for the first time, what are they supposed to think?

Further, a friend of ours recently went cruising with his 88 year old father (probably for the last time, at his father's wish.). A sudden wake from a rude boater could knock him down, break a hip or an arm, or whatever.

So it's not only lack of being polite which is the problem here, it is lack of consideration for safety. No one knows who is on the other boat that you are so carelessly rocking.

So I ask you from South Carolina, (or anywhere for that matter) to take care of other boaters, and watch your wake. Maybe someday, your geriatric father will want to be taken for a last cruise.

I realize that I am 'preaching to the choir' here on SailNet, but if you could spread the word to others it may save an injury.

Just sayin'.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook