SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau 42 DS Comissioning
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
With out looking back on pg 1, IIRC the OP's boat was put in the water in NCarolina, shown initially in Fl, so it had to get from NC to FL, probably ALL motored. Not sure of the distance, but frankly, I would not be too surprised to see 20-40 hrs for that trip alone!

Hr/miles on a given rig at purchase can depend on a lot of things. Take a semi truck for example. Kenworth hauls them out of a plant near me with one tractor that has 2 to 3 other trucks front axels on the 5w heading off to where ever. Maybe Florida lets say. So a trip from Seattle to Fl is what 4000 miles....So the lead rig has 4000 miles when it get to FL, it has yet to see a mile use by the end user.

Also, Many BIGGER boats get sailed to the new owner(s) ALL around the world, or they take delivery where it was made, then have to sail them to home, which could be 10-15K mile away. Some of the "how many" hr/miles etc one has on a rig needs to be taken with some grain of salt, based on the item, how it will be used etc. Said semi I mentioned earlier, if used in a OTR situation, does 100-125K miles a year once put into service. Is getting it with 4000 miles much different than you driving off the lot with a car that has 40 with you driving all of 100K miles in its 10 yr lifetime? not really when you look at the % of 4K to 1million miles over 10 yrs. A motor in this boat should go 10K-20K hrs or more before needing a rebuild. Most of us do not keep our boats that long!

right or wrong, Another way to look at things!

Marty