SailNet Community - View Single Post - Severe weather
Thread: Severe weather
View Single Post
  #4  
Old 11-08-2011
killarney_sailor killarney_sailor is offline
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,612
Thanks: 5
Thanked 86 Times in 75 Posts
Rep Power: 9
killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I don't think it is clear that one of your options is clearly superior to the other, so I suspect you pay your money and take your choice. It is very hard to make a choice if you are not on the boat because the description you give (or any possible description) does not give any sense of what the attitude of the crew is at this point. Crew being exhausted is a big issue. Have they considered heaving to or lying ahull for 6 to 8 hours so that they can get some sleep. Don't know the sea state but you say it is worse further soon.

Perhaps it is my attitude, but with everything else being equal - which it rarely is, I would be inclined to head to Bermuda after getting some sleep. I am trying to get to the Caribbean and Bermuda at least is in the right direction. If they go to Beaufort they are going in the wrong direction and still have to make up all that easting (I am assuming that they will continue their trip). There is a good sailmaker in Bermuda and any other parts they need can be shipped quickly if not available on the island.

Good luck to them.
__________________
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook