SailNet Community - View Single Post - I had a great sail today.
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Very nice Cent!!! Dude, you have to take some pics! I'd love to see your part of the world.

As for our part, it's pretty sad right now. The lake is down almost 60 feet from normal (for some perspective, our slip is usually about 100 degrees to the right of this photo in about 30' of water back in the cove - water usually right near the tree-line):

Seriously sucks. It leaves very little room to maneuver. We're now literally sailing a river. Even so, we kept a stiff upper lip as we headed out into the 30 knot winds:

We flew a full main, but left the 150 down so as not to blow out another headsail:

The wife loved it, the kids had a blast, and I was actually pretty chilled out in 30 knots. Not even a BFS. It's amazing how this C27 will point even with just a main. This little boat rocks.

I did pull a bit of an embarrassing move coming back into the slip. Came in a bit hot (needed it with a 15 knot crosswind) and bonked the bow into the dock - despite cranking the little OB in reverse the last 10 feet. Not a bad smack, but I've been nailing it for so long, it sucked to feel like a newb again. Oh well, I guess you always screw up at some point. I'll just have to keep practicing!

Good times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-12-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook