SailNet Community - View Single Post - Constructive Total Loss?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-13-2011 Thread Starter
Constructive Total Loss?

The adjuster from my insurer called the other day. My boat was damaged during Irene. The total estimate to repair the boat is $22k. The main damage was a 3' section of my aluminum toe rail - it is bent and scarred.

The estimate to replace the rail on both sides is $16k ($3k materials, $13k labor). (We have been able to find a rail that matches - looked everywhere. I have a separate post on how to fix the rail).

I had the boat insured for $30k. Because the $22k represents more than 70% of the insured value, the insurer is considering declaring the boat a "constructive total loss." They would write me a check for the $30k and sell the boat at salvage. I would have a right of first refusal to buy at what the appraiser estimates at $3k.

With the exception of the damaged rail (which professionals I have spoken to consider cosmetic), the boat is in great shape.

I am not sure what to make of this situation, and would appreciate any advice.

I have read that it might be difficult to obtain insurance for a "salvage" boat. I wonder if an insurer would write the coverage, with an understanding that the rail is already damaged?

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome