SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Cal 22 Owners?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011

Pneumatic is on a distinguished road
Thanks Ron. That clears up a lot. Looks like I might have one of the last Cal 22's built. That could explain the difference in the spars and rigging.
One thing I can tell from the documents I received with my boat is that it was originally from Texas and then California before it made it's way to Oregon. The previous owners must not of sailed her very much because there was very little wear on the boat. There was evidence that the boat almost sunk from neglect though. There was a waterline in the cabin about 6 inches up from the floor. Apparently there were several large leaks evidenced by the fact that the previous owner attempted to seal the leaks by applying silicon sealant to the outside of all the deck mounted hardware.
I spent the winter of '09/'10 sanding and varnishing all of the wood, polished all of the SS, buffed and waxed the gelcoat and made a set of sails. I also removed all of the deck mounted hardware, scraped off all of the silicone sealant the previous owner applied, drilled out every deck penetration and hollowed out the core and refilled with epoxy. I then re-drilled all the penetrations and re-beded all of the deck mounted hardware. I didn't realize how many holes are in the deck until I re-bedded everything. Now she's nearly bone dry inside. It was a lot of work but afterwards most people could hardly believe she was nearly 25 years old. For about 5k investment and countless hours of labor, we have a boat that shows like new.
Last winter I did a bottom paint job with VC-17. VC-17 is expensive, about $75 a quart, but works great. This winter we are going to make a spinnaker and try to improve the running rigging setup. What's that saying about a hole in the water?