SailNet Community - View Single Post - Constructive Total Loss?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I saw the picture of your toe rail in your other thread. It did not look that bad to me but maybe the picture does not show the damage very well. The rail looks a little bent, not broken just a bit bent out of shape in that one 3' section.
I've been through the CTL thing with our boat that suffered much worse damage. We bought our boat back from the Ins. co. and replaced our roller furler, genoa and bow pulpit with the insurance money left over. We were NOT able to get insurance coverage the next year because of the claim which was a hassle. Most marine insurance policies have (or had) a question right at the top that asked: "Have you suffered a CTL in the last 3 years?". If you answer 'yes' it is a red-flag and you will likely be denied coverage.
You have a few choices:
1- Do not file a claim, live with a bent toe rail and continue to be eligible for insurance coverage.
2- File a claim and
2A- pay $3K to buy the boat back and receive a check for $27K to fix the toe rail and have money left over for all new sails and whatnot. Do not expect finding marine insurance coverage for 3 years.
2B- let the Ins. co. salvage the boat and receive a check for $30K and buy a new(er) boat. Do not expect finding marine insurance coverage for 3 years.

If it were mine and I liked the boat I'd think about option #1 and just try to straighten out the damage.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook